Thursday, March 29, 2001

Office Chairs Putting Me in the Bad Mood (On-Line)(!)

Office chairs are expensive. The office chair that sells from the back of the New Yorker is really expensive; "The Breather" I think it's called. And it's ridiculously expensive. So you see, I'm already getting irked.

Staples.com has a very nice "manager's chair" for about $98.00. It's actually leather; not the nappy airplane seat fabric you're likely to find in lesser chairs. They are usually featured in unappealing colors too.

Some "executive" chairs listed on Staples.com are ridiculously expensive as well. Not as ridiculous as "the breather", but you don't get that certain something that you get when you know you ordered an office chair out of a literary magazine.

I sit on a wrought iron breakfast room table chair at work. It does have a cushion that ties on to the back of the chair with bows. I think the chairs were bought at Pottery Barn. I think Pottery Barn is closer to Talk than it is to the New Yorker.

You could by an office chair on Staples.com for $42.00. But I don't think anyone would want to do that. Usually when something is the cheapest thing on a list it is of low quality. Never order the cheapest bottle of wine at a nice restaurant. One caveat; do order the cheapest beer at a bar (especially Pabst, Schlitz, Black Label). There is a certain cred. in that.
I'm not exactly what kind of cred. A combination of creds I suspect.

I know a little bit about office chairs. This is because I "researched"
on-line (you can get anything on-line these days!) for them, for my boss, for his company. I found nice chairs and good chairs and many chairs that I wanted to sit in. He never gave me the "go-ahead" to purchase the chairs on-line(!). Then he laid me off. And then he told the company he was going to buy office chairs next week. Everyone cheered. I won't have an office next week.

But I will have a lot more time to shop for the "breather" in the back of the New Yorker for my imaginary new "dot.com start-up" (everyone's making money doing just about anything on-line. have you seen the pets.com sock
puppet!) for which I am the C.F.O. (Chief FUN Officer!).

Aaron L

No comments: